Månadsarkiv: oktober 2009

New design, new content

A new day and a new design to the site, pretty neat huh? I decided to change to an already existing WordPress template as there are people out there who knows how to develop them properly. 😛 Besides the new design I have added information about a system we have been developing at CeLeKT called Pinetree, which is a content repository based on Linked Data. While it is not yet available for download we are discussing to either put it up as open source or provide a binary file somewhere on the Web. The system itself still lacks authorisation and authentication mechanisms as we are still thinking about how to realise these things in the best way and still reap the benefits of linked data. So the API and installation instructions are mainly for people here at CeLeKT who have access to the binaries.

A little more useful for people outside the CeLeKT group is the Pinetree core ontology. While it was designed for the Pinetree system, the ontology makes it possible to represent the logical structure of digital content residing in content repositories in general. It has intentionally been kept simple to promote its reuse in other contexts that Pinetree.

A bit annoyingly is that the W3C RDF validator service refuses to validate the ontology when using the ”Check by URI” option, but if I paste the ontology into the ”Direct Input” textfield it validates perfectly. My initial suspicion is directed towards the FTP server at my web hosting service but I’m out of clues at this point. If anyone have had the same experience I’d be happy to hear from you.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Back after parental leave

As of yesterday I am back at the office again after becoming father to a beautiful little girl. Due to circumstances related to her birth, my research and studies were pretty much put on hold for six weeks, so the autumn semester for me officially begins now. During my time away a colleague of mine presented an article we wrote for the MobileHCI 2009 conference in Bonn, Germany, with the research problem of how to increase the expressivity and interoperability of contextual metadata depict mobile media objects. The full reference is located in the publications section of this blog, and while I was at it I added a reference to the paper presented at the MMedia 2009 conference.

The master plan to reach my licentiate during the spring of 2010 is somewhat progressing. As of now I am lacking the final paper to be embedded into the thesis and, fortunately for me, the deadline for the WMUTE 2010 conference was conveniently extended to mid October. So right now I’m busy working on a draft to a joint publication with two colleagues here at Växjö University, in which we are exploring the potential of using Linked Data to enrich digital content that emerge from learning with contextual metadata. I am really excited about the progress so far and hopefully it will serve as a smooth bridge towards my future research. In fact I better get back to work now. Later!

One last thing, I came across a neat workshop on Linked Data on the Web with lots of articles to digest. Check it out!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]